Committed to creating a sustainable future, the Keppel Group takes a proactive approach towards environmental management. At the recent Building and Construction Authority of Singapore (BCA) Awards held on 22 May 2014, Keppel garnered 12 accolades.
Keppel Data Centres clinched the BCA Green Mark Platinum and BCA-IDA Green Mark Platinum awards for Keppel Datahub 2.
Keppel Data Centres
Keppel Datahub 2 (KDH2) sets the benchmark in sustainable development as it is the first new data centre in Singapore to have achieved the BCAIDA Green Mark Platinum Award. This is the highest green accolade conferred by the BCA and the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) of Singapore for data centre developments.
Designed to high specifications, KDH2 is a new data centre development, undertaken by Keppel Data Centres Holding, a joint venture between Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation (Keppel T&T) and Keppel Land. Strategically located adjacent to the joint venture's existing data centre in Tampines, KDH2 is currently under construction and is expected to be completed in 3Q 2014. When completed, the development will offer more than 6,000 sm of high quality data centre space with the capability to meet high powered rack requirements.
According to a report on Data Centre Energy Efficiency Benchmarking published by the National Environment Agency in 2012, Singapore's total commercial data centre capacity is expected to expand by a further 51%, bringing the total area to nearly 337,000 sm by 2015. With data centres forming 3.6% of the nation's total electricity consumption which is poised to increase at an exponential rate over the next five years, any savings in energy will be significant.
Some examples of the green features and initiatives employed by KDH2 include:
- Dynamic Rotary Uninterruptible Power Systems (DRUPs) in place of traditional battery run operated uninterruptible power systems, thereby reducing chemical waste and improving operating efficiency
- Efficient cooling systems designed for hot and cold aisle containment deployment which maximises energy efficiency
- Customised Data Centre Infrastructure Management (DCIM) which tracks data centre performance, allowing improved energy management
- Eco-friendly materials during the construction of the development
- Computational Fluid Dynamics studies were also commissioned to examine the airflow patterns in fine detail to ensure uniformity of temperature distribution
- Post-design stage of KDH2, BCA performed a rigorous assessment to evaluate the overall design across various components including energy efficiency, water efficiency, sustainable construction and management, indoor environment quality and other green features prior to conferring the Green Mark Platinum award.
To-date, Keppel T&T holds a portfolio of nine high quality data centre assets in Asia Pacific and Europe, including those held through its majority stake in the Securus Data Property Fund.
Keppel swept a total of 12 awards at the annual Building and Construction Authority of Singapore (BCA) Awards night held on 22 May 2014, including the prestigious BCA Green Mark Champion Award, received by Keppel Land CEO Mr Ang Wee Gee (centre), as well as the BCA Green Mark Platinum Award and BCA-IDA Green Mark Platinum Award received by Mr Chng Hak Kiat (right), Senior GM, Keppel Data Centres and Mr Rick Lim (left), Deputy GM, Keppel Datahub
Keppel Datahub 2 is the first new data centre in Singapore to achieve the Platinum Award for BCA-IDA Green Mark